Our Commitment to our Planet and our People
Our commitment to both the planet we inhabit and the people on the POOPOOPAPER team is at our core. We believe in pursuing the middle way - where our company can balance our commercial pursuits with care for both the natural environment as well as the people and communities involved in making our products. We want to be part of the solution and not a part of the problem.
For Our Planet:
The very nature of our products exemplify our on-going efforts to utilize ecologically responsible production methods and techniques that are environmentally sustainable:
1. No trees have been cut to produce POOPOOPAPER™ papers. POOPOOPAPER™ papers are tree-free and do not integrate any wood-pulp based material to produce our papers. We use alternative waste fibers which are mixed into various pulps to produce our unique paper products.
2. We color our papers with natural inks and non-toxic and edible food coloring.
3. All graphics and printing on our products utilize eco-friendly and natural soy-based inks only.
4. All waste papers and trimmings left over from our product assembly process is re-pulped and used to make subsequent batches of POOPOOPAPER™.
5. Our production process uses no chlorine or bleach which means that the water from our production process is not contaminated. Therefore, we can safely re-use the water from our production process for subsequent production runs and can even safely use again to irrigate nearby agricultural crops.
For Our People:
1. We operate a flex-work cottage-based manufacturing production framework in Thailand where many of the artisans (over 95% females) have the opportunity to work at home with the flexibility to also attend to their traditional household management responsibilities. Incomes generated often enhances largely agriculture-based family incomes.
2. We arrange and provide employment to many ethnic minorities from rural villages who's families often have come from nearby Burma and have moved to Thailand to seek better economic opportunities. We often arrange work permits and sponsorship and often assist our staff through the bureaucratic maze of obtaining ID cards which is a prerequisite for access to benefits and services offered by the local government
3. We adhere and in many cases exceed fair trade principles. We pay decent wages, provide social security contributions into the government-backed retirement savings plan, unemployment insurance plan as well as comprehensive health care coverage. We also are pleased to be able to offer interest-free loans to our staff if requested and offer optional subsidized housing. Many of our staff have been with us since the founding of our company and new employees are typically referrals from existing staff.
4. Our company has been audited on-site and certified by Social Accountability International's SA8000 standard which is a global standard-setting non-profit human rights organization dedicated to improving work places and communities and is based on the UN Declaration of Human Rights, Convention on the Rights of the Child and various International Labor Organization (ILO) conventions..